Tuesday, June 22, 2010

A Year Already !?

I haven't been keeping up my end of the blog lately (after all, my name is first in the title and that brings with it certain responsibilities). Anyways, I've been thinking a lot lately about the past year. A few days ago I hit the one year mark working for Island Conservation. Things started a bit rough, and are still rough at times; but overall I really like my job. In the past year I've slept in my bed here on San Nicolas Island more than I've slept anywhere else. Its sad to say, but sometimes this feels more like home than home.

Over the past year I've come to sort of love a crappy, ugly rock in the Pacific. I've come in tune with the little rhythms of the island. I've come to appreciate the beauties that aren't so obvious.

Also, I got a chance to go to Desecheo Island in the Caribbean. That trip was a test of my mental and physical endurance. I'll never forget hiking back to camp in a torrential rain, with the wind blowing, walking along the top of a steep ridge with nothing but a quick and painful trip to the ocean awaiting me if I slipped. Only a few times in my life have I felt like such a badass.

Also, this job let me and Sandy move to Portland, which we both love. I was gonna post some pictures but just realized they aren't on this computer. So, instead as a late Fathers Day tribute I'll post a picture of me and my dad.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I feel ALOT better than what I look!!
Dad...

Momma Reid said...

I want more!!! Wow, I enjoyed reading that. More diaries of your adventures please. :-)

P.S. I never realized just how much you look like "your dad" -- tee hee!

Luv,
Uncle Keith & Auntee Nat

Tiff said...

I think dad needs some new sunscreen. He is getting a little too dark. It looks a little unhealthy.