Monday, April 27, 2009

Adventures with Flat Stanley


Sandy had to go to a conference last week in Philadelphia, and I wanted to go to the Market Fair at Ft. Frederick in Maryland so I took a few days off. Tiffanie had mailed me a visitor, Flat Stanley, to help teach her class about maps. Flat Stanley came with a letter to mail a postcard or letter telling about his visit. I took some pictures of Stan here in Danville, but I thought I would do one better and take him on a trip with me and record our adventures.

Things went pretty smoothly at first. Upon getting to Maryland, the first freeway exit was exit 10. That means there were only 10 exits until Virginia. I had some spare time so, I thought Stanley and I would take a trip down to what is officially the "South" and see the welcome center. Things were going smoothly until we found out Virginia was really West Virginia. I guess Stanley needs to improve his knowledge of geography. This wouldn't be a big deal, except for some reason I don't like West Virginia. The only other time I was there, I thought the towns were all sort of ugly, everyone was wearing wife-beater T-shirts, and the guy at the gas station accused me of using a stolen credit card. This trip to West Virginia was a little better, I got a free magnet.

3 comments:

Tiff said...

How could you hate West Virginia,its wild and wonderful? My class would loooove that magnet!!!J/K

Anonymous said...

Wes! Were you using a stolen credit card?! I bet the guy wouldn't have questioned you if you had have been wearing your wife beater!

Isn't Harpers Ferry in WV? You'd like it there, I think. Total tourist trap, but lots of history.

Wesley said...

I actually went and ate dinner in Harper's Ferry. It is where the Potomac and Shenandoah Rivers come together. Also, it is where the borders of VA, WV, and MD all meet. The water and hills were very beautiful there.